Want to learn to pack using a carry-on? It’s possible, and saves you time and money. I’ve flown over a million miles and avoid checking my bag whenever possible.
Top packing tips when you travel with a carry-on
Here are my top packing tips and hacks:
- Choose a neutral color palette. That will make it easier to mix and match. Black, white, navy blue and beige are great basic neutrals.
- Plan outfits for each day. Make sure to check the weather forecast first!
- Always include
a LBDor little black dress. You can dress it up or down.
- Try everything on before packing. That way you can evaluate whether it’s flattering and when you would wear each outfit. Don’t skip this step or you might regret your choices once you arrive at your destination.
- Wear your bulkiest shoes
tothe airport. That will free up space in your carry-on bag.
- Get travel-sized beauty products. You can also pour your favorite skincare and hair care products into 3 oz sealed containers.
- Edit and choose your makeup and skincare essentials. You really don’t need everything in your regular makeup bag. Take advantage of great makeup palettes that hardly take up space and have a great collection of basic eyeshadows, bronzer, and blush. Check out what you should take here.
- Be practical and prefer versatile items that can easily be mixed and matched. A plain t-shirt can be
wornso many ways! That’s why I tend to pack mostly solid color items.
- Pick flat items whenever possible, like a clutch or envelope bag, a foldable day bag, and non-bulky sweaters. There are shoes that also can be flattened.
- Use packing cubes to keep everything organized and save space. They make unpacking a breeze, too.
- Roll your clothes that are not in packing cubes. I have found that rolling not only helps keep clothes from
wrinkling,but also helps maximize space.
- When traveling to cold climates, carry your coat or heavy jacket instead of trying to pack it in your bag.
If you have any additional packing tips, please share so we can all learn!
Do you prefer to check your bag or pack light and travel with a carry-on?